Business Diversity & Equity (BDE) supports the University’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion by encouraging the UW community to consider small, local and diverse businesses when sourcing and purchasing goods and services.
“Business diversity is about creating avenues of opportunity for small, local and diverse businesses. It’s about keeping UW dollars within Washington state, to fund job creation and spur the growth of the local economy.”
– Lou Cariello, Vice President of UW Facilities
Who we are
What we do
BD&E connects buyers with diverse suppliers, and provides guidance and networking opportunities for companies who want to do business with the UW.
- Seek to assure visibility of opportunities for small, minority, and women-owned businesses
- Conduct business opportunity fairs and provide information on how to do business with the University
- Provide training opportunities (Supplier Orientation) and educational workshops for businesses (Consulting & Business Development Center)
- Support UW departments and schools/colleges in sourcing qualified businesses
- Encourage the University's larger suppliers and contractors to develop and expand their commitments to business diversity with their suppliers and subcontractors
- Recommend qualified businesses become certified as minority or women-owned business enterprises with the State Office of Minority and Women's Business Enterprises